The Ungated Life is currently under construction. Check back soon for a full rundown of wtf is happening here. But in the meantime, here's the quickie bullet point version of what's going on.
- In the summer of 2020, I launched a publication called The Citizen Within. At the time, American politics was at a boiling point, and I wanted to navigate that landscape in a healthier, more responsible way.
- I spent a chunk of 2021 working on the site, wrote a few essays I was proud of, and tinkered with a curated newsletter. But I burned out, lost the motivation, and stopped publishing.
- By spring of 2022, I knew I couldn't focus on American politics anymore. That landscape is too toxic, and it degrades every aspect of my life when I engage with it. So I considered just shutting Citizen Within down.
- Somewhere along the way, I fell down a rabbit hole of metamodern politics and developmental psychology. I was also reminded of a book called Self-Renewal by John Gardner. I'd read it about two years ago, but upon re-reading, it spoke to my soul, and made it clear that Citizen Within shouldn't disappear, but instead be reborn.
- Put simply, Ungated Life is about my personal journey of living regeneratively. It's about the meta question of how we can renew ourselves, so that we can become who we need to be to make sense of an increasingly complex world, and solve some of the more wicked problems facing humanity.